There is an epic breakfast showdown between pancakes and French toast and today French toast won. This is French toast with a spin. Who would have guessed flattening bread and rolling it up with Nutella and bananas would be such a simple yet scrumptious treat? You do not even have to make it for breakfast. You could eat these roll-ups as a mid-night snack or even if you are craving something sweet.
- 6 slices fresh white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- ½ punnet strawberries, diced small
- 4½ tbsp Nutella
- ¼ cup caster sugar (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 egg (large)
- 2 tbsp milk (full cream or low fat)
- Pinch of salt
- Combine Egg Mixture in a bowl with a flat base large enough to lie the roll up in. Whisk to combine.
- Spread sugar out in a small dish.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the bread flat. This makes them easier to roll up (and stay rolled up).
- Spread each piece of bread with around ¾ tbsp of Nutella.
- Sprinkle strawberries along the bottom of each piece of bread.
- Roll up bread. The Nutella will keep it sealed.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Roll each roll up in the Egg Mixture, shake off excess then place in the pan. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Cook for around four minutes until each side is golden, rotating every one minute or so.
- Remove from pan and immediately place in the sugar. Roll to coat in sugar, then remove. Repeat with remaining roll ups.
- Serve immediately, while warm.