The UNC Charlotte Student Government Association (SGA) held their weekly student senate legislative meeting April 27.
Fourteen new senators along with four executive cabinet members were sworn into student government on Thursday. While the senators did not run for the positions, they applied for the vacant positions after elections and were then interviewed and chosen.
- Kyra Durham – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Adrea Gladney – College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Khabrityul Gainey – Belk College of Business
- Camielle Reynolds – Belk College of Business
- Danielle Audain – College of Health and Human Services
- Giana Avent – College of Engineering
- Sara Downs – College of Education
- Shekinah Hall – College of Education
- Matthew Basel – At-Large
- Laria James – At-Large
- Tanesha McCargo – At-Large
- Princess Evuka – Freshman At-Large
- Shari Smith – Freshman At-Large
- Tiona Wilson – Freshman At-Large
The four executive cabinet members were appointed by Student Body President Tracey Allsbrook and approved by the Senate.
- Jasmine Williams – Treasurer
- Bailey Russell – Secretary for State and National Affairs
- Anthony Rizol – Secretary for Athletic Affairs
- Ana Valdez Curiel – Press Secretary
New Student Organizations
The Senate approved of two new student organizations.
4 the World – This organization enriches and educates members about the community of Charlotte through various community service projects with the Ronald McDonald House, Regional AIDS Interfaith Network and the Charlotte Bridge Home. Although this club will mainly be a pre-health club, it is open to everyone. The club will be fundraising throughout the year to raise money for a spring break trip where the group will go to a specific country lead by the founders of 4 the World. 4 the World identifies and collaborates with communities across the globe to empower them to identify and solve the most pressing needs of their communities within the areas of health and education. By partnering with the communities in these areas, they provide critical support and capacity-building initiatives to ensure these communities are capable of continuing to grow and thrive in the future.
Star Wars Dueling Club (SWDC) – This club is a Star Wars themed social club that allows Star Wars enthusiasts to meet and socialize. The main aspect of the SWDC is to have sessions where members can duel each other with light sabers as well as create a community on campus for Star Wars fans.