The food that I enjoyed most as a South African experiencing my very first Labor Day was turkey sliders with tomato jam. The jam can be paired with any meat. Your taste buds will thank you.
Cooking time: About an hour
Ingredients for the:
1 pound of plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 tbs of olive oil
1 tbs red wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup plus 1 tbs firmly packed light brown sugar
1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp ancho chile powder
1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
1⁄4 tsp ground ginger
1⁄4 tsp ground allspice
1. Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have dissolved.
3. What remains should be a thick jam-like consistency. This takes about 1 hour.
4. Cool before serving.
1 pound ground turkey
1 grated onion
2 tbs Dijon mustard
1⁄2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1 tsp Cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Grate onion.
2. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, onion, Dijon mustard, egg, panko, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
3. Mold the mixture into patties.
4. Grill the patties for 3 minutes per side.
These sliders are perfect for any group gathering.