Midterm exam scantrons and blue books have been purchased, the declining balance is swiftly declining and pumpkin spice is trending on Twitter. All signaling the month of October, which could mean only one thing for UNC Charlotte- homecoming is among us.
For the past four years students, faculty and staff have come together to welcome back alumni to our great institution. At the current rate of construction it seems as if the university creates a new look for itself year in and year out. Rapid expansion has caused the university to appear unrecognizable to most alumni upon their return for the homecoming festivities.
Senior and psychology major Kevin Fauntleroy, the 2017 committee chair, stressed the importance of homecoming at the institution.
“It is important because it is the time of a traditional celebration where students, faculty, staff, alumni, friends and family all come together to indulge in the pride of a university and appreciate the set traditions and unifying environment it provides.”
Fauntleroy, a member of the 2016 Royal Court, has his eyes set on the slew of upcoming events, especially the football game.
“I am most excited for the tailgating because it is a time where you have everyone together no if they’re young or older. Ever since the creation of our football team, I have seen the sense of pride and eagerness to be in the stands, rooting on our team to go out and stake their claim for a win.”
Junior political science and computer science double major Georgina Boateng, the 2017 court chair, has fresh aspirations for this year’s Royal Court.
“I’ve been putting in a lot of work into changing the role of the king and queen after they are crowned. In past years, the king and queen are crowned and then they just sort of disappear until the next year. We’d like our king and queen continue being active on campus and in the community.”
The 2017 Royal Court is a small representation of the considerable number student leaders at UNC Charlotte. Between the 14 candidates, more than 40 student organizations are represented such as Student Government Association, Student Orientation, Campus Activities Board, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, Student Alumni Ambassadors, Building Better Brothers and the Pride of Niner Nation Marching Band.
2017 Royal Court – King Candidates:
- Abdoulie Ceesay – Junior, Chemistry (Major)
- Asa Bell III – Senior, Business Marketing (Major) Political Science (Minor)
- Brian Thompson – Senior, Exercise Science (Major) Public Health (Minor)
- Tyler Capel – Senior, Business Management Information Systems (Major)
- Joshua Byrd – Sophomore, Business
- Tyriq Evans – Junior Math (Major) Secondary Education (Minor)
- Spencer Blackwell – Senior, Criminal Justice & Religious Studies (Double Major)
2017 Royal Court – Queen Candidates:
- Amber Creft – Senior, Political Science (Major) Psychology, Women and Gender Studies (Minor)
- Ena Walker – Senior, Business Organizational Management
- Kristine Slade – English (Major) Military Science & American Sign Language (Minor)
- Lauren Helms – Junior, Communications (Major) Sociology (Minor)
- Mercy Mensah – Senior, Business Management Major
- Tamara Tanis – Senior, Mathematics (Major) Music Performance (Minor)
- Reagan Bennett – Senior, Accounting
Winners will be announced during half-time at the Homecoming Game on Saturday, Oct. 21 when the Charlotte 49er take on the UAB Blazers at Jerry Richardson Stadium. The game starts at 6:30 p.m.
Oct. 15 – Homecoming Kickoff
10 p.m. – Popp Martin Student Union Rotunda
Oct. 17 – Homecoming Comedy Show feat. SNL’s Jay Pharoah & Pete Davidson
7 p.m. – Halton Arena
Oct. 18 Homecoming Week Unplugged featuring Lamont Landers
12 p.m. – Cone University Center After Hours
Oct. 18 – Homecoming Trivia Night
7:30 p.m. – Popp Martin Student Union 340 GHI
Oct. 19 – Hollywood Swingin’: Extravaganza
5:30 p.m. – Star Quad
Oct. 19 – Basketball Madness
9 p.m. – Halton Arena
Oct. 20 – Rave on Crave
4:30 p.m. – CHHS/CoEd Plaza
Oct. 20 – Homecoming Parade
6:30 p.m. – Popp Martin Student Union
Oct. 20 – Homecoming Union Takeover
7 p.m. – Popp Martin Student Union
Oct. 21 – Homecoming Football Game
6:30 p.m. – Jerry Richardson Stadium
For more information, visit homecoming.uncc.edu.