Student employees honored at luncheon
UNC Charlotte student employees were honored on April 12 at the Student Employment Recognition Luncheon in the Harris Alumni Center.
The purpose of the event is to recognize student employees who have gone above and beyond in their work and to give departments a chance to nominate a student for employee of the year.
Stacey Myers was the winner of Employee of the Year. Since starting at the Department of Recreational Services as a freshman in 2013, Myers has taken on several positions including intramural official, group fitness instructor, personal trainer, fitness program supervisor and group fitness intern.
Myers, an exercise science major, helps condition the women’s soccer team with a cycling class, has represented the Department of Kinesiology in the Student Quiz Bowl and conducted warm ups at the annual 49er Gold Rush 5k Run/Walk. She also volunteers for Time 2 Change, a free program designed to lead students who are considered obese to a healthier lifestyle.
Myers has also created more opportunities for students with disabilities in Recreational Services. Myers assisted one particular student, who has a visual impairment and a service dog, in his effort to lead a group fitness class and participate in the UNC-Charlotte Demo Team.
“Knowing that we are appreciated as employees, especially at the Department of Recreational Services where we became a family and just knowing that my family has my back and I’m making them proud, means so much,” Myers said.
Students who were also nominated include:
- Sydney Hillman – College of Arts and Architecture
- Jesudamilare Ibitoye – Multicultural Academic Services
- Kaitlyn Kubacki – Undergraduate Admissions
- Maria Mazariegos – CCI Business Partners Program
- Max Moallen – Student Union
- Michael Proctor – Cone University Center
- Jacob Shaw – International Programs
- Nathan Sherrill – Student Activity Center and Venue Management
- Zachery Slocum – Belk College