The East Carolina women’s tennis team visited Charlotte in a non-conference matchup Thursday afternoon. The two teams played at the Charlotte Indoor Tennis Club due to the chance of thunderstorms. ECU on a three match losing streak hoped to steal one from the 49ers at home.
Pirates got off to a quick start in the doubles, with Celia Ruiz and Nicole LaDuca winning 6-4 improving their record to 17-6 overall. Megan Smith and Sierra Stone couldn’t hold off Sarah Sarjoo and Maria Storoheva dropping the set 6-3. The bottom half of ECU’s lineup was responsible for the three remaining points in the match.
Tyler Baker, Sierra Stone, and Alexandra Lee all lost in straight sets on courts four, five and six to clinch the match and give Charlotte their 8th loss of the season. The niners will look to reverse the two match losing streak with a road trip to face Georgia State this Saturday.
Your women’s tennis team will return home for three straight against Campbell, Davidson, and Lenoir-Rhyne April 6, 8, 10.
East Carolina 4, Charlotte 0
1. Victoria Pahlett (CHA) vs. Celia Ruiz (ECU) unfinished
2. Tai Martin (CHA) vs. Maria Storozheva (ECU) unfinished
3. Macy Vonderschmidt (CHA) vs. Nicole LaDuca (ECU) unfinished
4. Michelle Castro (ECU) def. Tyler Baker (CHA) 6-2, 6-1
5. Katie Hoch (ECU) def. Sierra Stone (CHA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sarah Sarjoo (ECU) def. Alexandra Lee (CHA) 6-3, 6-2
1. Nicole LaDuca/Celia Ruiz (ECU) def. Tai Martin/Victoria Pahlett (CHA) 6-4
2. Sarah Sarjoo/Maria Storozheva (ECU) def. Megan Smith/Sierra Stone (CHA) 6-3
3. Tyler Baker/Macy Vonderschmidt (CHA) vs. Michelle Castro/Katie Hoch (ECU) unfinished